Saturday, October 24, 2015

Going to Lake Havasu

10/22 The day was bright and clear and we loaded up and got rolling about ten o'clock. We went north back to Flagstaff and then west on I-40. Of course we did a few detours onto Route 66.


 It was somewhere past this point on I-40 that I was trying to pass a semi and his nose was about the rear wheels on the trailer. I saw a cop on the left side with his lights on and I couldn't get over so I tapped the brakes but wasn't going to slow much. After glancing in the mirror to see where the semi was, I looked up to see a work truck stopped in the middle of the left lane. I slammed on the brakes but knew I would never stop in time and I couldn't move right because of the semi so I turned the wheel to left and thanked God for a wide stone shoulder because we buzzed that guy doing sixty on the shoulder. So many things could have gone wrong but we passed by the truck and came back on the highway. The semi had moved all the way over to the right shoulder but I couldn't see that in the mirror and didn't have time to look. The cop didn't come after me and hopefully he understood what was happening. He had some good dash cam video to show the guys back at the office.
So we cruised on down the highway pumped on adrenaline. Eventually I needed to get off the road and what better place to stop that in Seligman, AZ at the Road Kill Cafe. (You kill it, we grill it). It beat lunch meat sandwiches, again (ugh).

 We turned on AZ 95 down to Lake Havasu City. I haven't been here in twenty years the last time was to watch the Jet Ski World Finals in 1996.
Waving at you!


We settled into Campbell Cove RV park and watched the sunset.
 Friday we took the day off to soak up the sun and dry out from all the cool temperatures and rain. It was in the eighties and sunny. Beautiful weather. I saw on the internet that Wolf creek Pass had snow and the plows had been called out. We timed our trip through there just right.We're not looking forward to the cold when we go back home for the holidays but it will be good to spread out and spend time with friends and family.
Saturday was another leisure day and we took a tour of the London Bridge. This bridge originally spanned the river Thames. In 1964 Robert McCulloch bought the old bridge which was replaced with the present one in London, had it disassembled and brought back to the US where he used it to span a canal that he dug making Pittsburgh Point into an island. It was a gimmick to sell real estate for the new community that McCulloch was building called Lake Havasu City.

 The canal is a popular place to park your boat and spend time watching others pass and catch up with the neighbors. This is one of the epicenters of the hot boat movement and there are boats and boat builders everywhere. I was drooling over the boats. I missed mine


 We drove around Pittsburgh Island. There are 18, 1/3 scale replica lighthouses around Lake Havasu that imitate lighthouses on the east and west coasts and the great lakes. These we installed as a safety measure to make night boating on Lake Havasu a little safer. 







 


No comments: