Friday, June 12, 2015

Cedar Key

May 21 We drove up to Cedar Key. I have read about Cedar Key and Darrell Fowler told me how he loves the laid back vibe on Cedar Key. It was also one of those little towns at the end of the road on the map so with my curiosity peaked and a promise to Becky that there was a beach, we headed out.
I followed a blog by Pat and Cindy Bonish called Every Miles A Memory. They also own Low-Key Hideaway on Cedar Key where they settled after their journey across America. We passed Low Key Hideaway on the way into Cedar Key and I felt like I was seeing an old friend for the first time. They have a nice little boat built from an air boat hull that I saw out on the water. When you spend time reading other people's blogs, you learn their thoughts and opinions and get to know them and think of them as friends. Seeing them in person adds a new dimension to that relationship. I hope that you guys feel the same way when you read this blog. It's not always fun to sit down and chronicle the journey, sort the photos and put it all on line. But I know you guys are out there reading and enjoying and that is what makes it worth it!
So Cedar Key....

The road to and from Cedar Key is dead straight. It was awful.





There is a large fishing pier that made for some good fishing and photo opportunities.

The population of Cedar Key was 702 in the 2010 census and I don't think that has changed much. These downtown buildings needed lots of repair and one probably can't tear them down because they are historical. Cedar Key was the western terminus of the first railroad in Florida and the cedar trees provided the cedar for the majority of pencils in the United States in the late 1800 and early 1900.

Yeap Patrick and I waited for Becky. Though it wasn't quite as bad as this poor guy.

We had some snacks before setting out for the RV. 



No comments: