Monday, September 28, 2015

Edwards to Pahrump, NV

9/24 The original destination from  Fresno was Pahrump, NV and we would finish that last leg today. First Patrick and I went over to the little museum that every base seems to have. This one was dedicated to the test work that took place here. They had a replica of the X-1 that Chuck Yeager took to Mach 1. Lots of old airplanes, many that had been used for test beds only or were one offs.


F-22
 The Route to Pahrump. years ago I considered moving here for a job but decided to move to Tennessee instead. I was way to young and impressionable to have lived in Pahrump by myself.
This is the factory where 20 Mule Team Borax comes from. The facility stretched for miles and the mine tailings were often higher than the surrounding hills.





 We turned a corner on 127 and this sight greeted us. I think I measured it at seven miles from where we started to where we could see in the distance.
 More of the same, the road rippled and rose. I don't think the guys who built the road believed in making it smooth and flat.






 We turned onto 178 east towards Nevada, it had a funny name. Turns out this Charlie Brown was a state legislator who pushed for the road.



We settled at Preferred RV Park. It was a strange place as they wanted all the trailers parked exactly so, even placing markings in the spot. We needed a half a mile of sewer hose to be able to hook that up. I saw several vehicles with at least three sections of hose out. Plus all the gravel made it tough to negotiate. On the positive side they had an amazing woodworking shop with just about every tool one needed to make a major project. I stole a piece of scrap 2x4, I needed it when working on the bearings and probably won't need it again. I have it now. We sheltered in the AC and went to bed.

No comments: