Thursday, September 24, 2015

Trailer Maintenance

9/21 Monday Okay let me back up and give you an explanation on how we got to here. Back when Tom and I cleaned up and checked the brakes back on Whidbey Island I replaced the grease with marine grade grease with a 350 degree drop point. Evidently this was the wrong grease to use for my application because as soon as it got hot, it would start to melt out the hubs and I put a lot of heat into the brakes coming down 101, 1 and then 120 and 41.
I found some Lucas Oil Red 'N' Tacky grease with a 540 degree drop point and collected everything I needed for repacking the bearings on the trailer. First step was to pull off one of the hubs and take out the seal in the back and find new seals which I did at Camping World. Then I had to find some new bearings and that required a second trip out. By the time we were done it was dark but all the bearings had new grease! and Becky asked me why I needed to bring all those tools along!

Bearing and seals out and all cleaned up.

clean on the left, repacked on the right, the nice thing is that when I pump the hub full of grease it will all squeeze into the bearings.


Becky crawled under and adjusted the brakes. She is the best. So thankful for the help and so proud of her for tackling the job.

This bearing was obviously bad so it got changed out.

The next morning everything back together and happy.

No comments: