Towering 60 feet high and located adjacent to the surviving buildings of the Alamo itself, San Antonio's "Alamo Cenotaph" pays tribute to the men who died defending the ancient mission in 1836 rather than surrender to overwhelming odds.
Titled "The Spirit of Sacrifice," the Cenotaph (or "empty tomb") was created by sculptor Pompeo Coppini from a design envisioned by architect Carlton Adams. Begun in 1937, the Cenotaph took two years to complete and is itself now a historical treasure.
According to tradition the Alamo Cenotaph marks the spot where the slain defenders of the fortified mission were piled after the battle and burned in great funeral pyres. The remains were later collected by local citizens and today located in a marble casket at nearby San Fernando Catherdarl.