Saturday, May 16, 2015

Helicopter Ride over Marathon

May 3. Patrick and I drove up to Marathon to stop at Abyss Dive Center. My good friend George Schlub and I had dove with Bill Ferrell owner of Abyss several times. He did our courses for our advance cards. I was disappointed to hear that captain Bill no longer owned Abyss but he does help out on occasions.
On the way back to the trailer, we stopped at the Aviation Terminal at Marathon airport and got a look at the Robinson R44 sitting on the tarmac. Nick was more than willing to take us up. He was concerned about me getting into the helicopter and I was able to hop right in. We took a ten minute flight down to Pigeon Key and back. A photo dump.


Patrick gives a thumbs up as we head out towards Pigeon Key (that little island you see). Nick had some fun tilting us all the way over during turns and spotting some big sharks for us. I saw one. A ten footer looked about an inch long from 500 feet.

Seven mile bridge. The old bridge is to the right.



We saw a boat beached on the sand where the skipper parked her in high tide. Guess the tide got away from him!




No comments: